Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Teething Makes Me Crabby

So my 1 year old, my usually happy and serene, ringlet topped child whom I so lovingly refer to as "my little Buddha" is teething, and it's getting pretty tense around here. Granted, what his gums are trying to accomplish is no easy feat (2 bottom molars and 2 top incisors), but when will my children realize that mommy is much better at being Mommy when she's had at least, oh I don't know, 2 hours of uninterrupted sleep. Now don't be mistaken, sleeping attempts were made, but as I slowly drifted into a state of anything resembling actual REM, I was ripped away by a piercing shriek, and this didn't happen once, or twice, or even three times, it happened at 11:30 pm, 2:00 am, 3:00 am, 5:15 am, and 6:30 am, at which point I thought, "Well what the hell, might as well get up since the alarm is set for 15 minutes from now." I tried Tylenol, I tried homeopathic teething tablets, warm bath? cool compress? bottle? cup? rocking? walking? sitting? patting? Ugh...nothing worked.

My stress was further compounded by the 5 year old and his newfound fear of monsters in the closet and his severe night time dehydration. I wanna go, "Look kid, it is no coincidence that you are only thirsty after your bedtime story, and we all wish we had someone to snuggle with at night, but Mommy is doing the dishes and laundry and homework she didn't do while you were awake so that you could have undivided attention. Now please give me a break and STAY IN YOUR BED!!!!" He got up 3 times waking his brother each time and finishing his last attempt with my favorite grand finale...the bloody nose!
They were both bowls of sunshine this morning...no really, happy as clams. And I...the queen of this kingdom made a SUPER STRONG pot o' coffee. If I could have hooked it up with an IV I would have.

No comments:

Post a Comment