Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Ohhhhh...Mother

Is it written in the ancient texts that the realtionships between mothers and daughters be so damn HARD?!? Now don't get me wrong, I love my mother, and for the most part I actually LIKE my mother, but that woman can whip me into a frothy frenzy like no one else. She's a gold medalist when it comes to pushing my buttons. It has a lot to do with the criticism...the questioning...the second guessing per se. Yes mother...I have a jacket in the car for the boys...Yes mother...I remembered to pay their tuition...Yes mother...Yes mother...YES!!! I know what you're thinking. You're thinking, "This girl needs some boundries!", and you may be right, I may need to work on protecting my borders a bit more efficiently, but it's...complicated. My mom, bless her heart, also did some time as a single mom and one of the by-products of that was our titanium clad mother-daughter bond. Our closeness was one of my best assets through pre and early puberty (thanks for the visit to the Clinique counter for my first set of make-up and the frank conversation about birth control), but quickly became one of my main sources of anger and resentment as I tried to navigate my own way through life. This means that more often than not my mother has been my albatross and my lighthouse at exactly the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment