Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Ready, Set, Go!

I've imagined writing a blog like this on and off for the last couple of years, mostly when my kids do something adorable or atrocious. And also when I make some sort of eye popping discovery regarding my abilities, or inabilities in some cases, to parent. Sometimes I'm triumphant, other times, not so much. For both of my children, I was able to keep a daily journal of sorts during their first year of life. However after they turned 1 I stopped writing down the cute things they had done or the discoveries they had made and now that my oldest is turning 5, I wish I had a place to jot down those brief moments, the good and the bad, that I want to remember forever. So, here I go. Writing our stories even though I've gone back and forth about writing them in this type of forum. Mainly I've battled my own opinion that writing about myself and my boys in this setting is kind of egotistical. I mean how interesting can our life really be? But I finally came to the conclusion that it's interesting to me and if I write for me, who knows, someone else might get something out of it. For example, some other mother in this world may want to know that she is not alone when she hits the OFF button instead of the SNOOZE button on the alarm and wakes up an hour late on a school day. Said mother may need to relate to another one of her kind who with only 12 minutes to get out of the door, swiftly dresses the children (can't find the baby's shoes so he doesn't get any), pops a bagel in the toaster for the 5 year old, runs to the bedroom to throw on a bra and some flipflops, does a 10 second brush of her teeth, butters the bagel for the preschooler, gives him a sippy cup with milk (no honey you're not a baby, Mommy just doesn't want you to spill in the car), grabs the baby, the purse, and the baby bag. Piles everyone into the car. Runs back for the lunch pail and the huge sunglasses (maybe they won't notice my pajamas if I wear big glasses) and tries to drive to school within the speed limit because after all we don't want a repeat run in with our local highway patrol. Let me put it to you this way, this morning as I urged my son out of bed he heard me say we were going to be late and he replied, "Oh no...does this mean we're going to be stopped by the police again?" It only happened once, but I'll tell you, having a motorcycle cop follow you into your child's school parking lot is really embarassing and the poor guy felt so bad about my parade of shame that he let me off with a warning. So,this is my life. My hectic, beautiful, love-filled life. Welcome to SingleMommyLandia, my place where I can talk about being a single mom to two gorgeous (and brilliant) little boys, Lucas, 5 and James, 1 and what it's like to co-parent with their fathers' (yes there are two fathers which make for double the negotiating tactics). Oh yeah, there's also the fact that I work and go to school full-time. And I try to be Earth and community conscience. Who says we can't do it all. Whew!

No comments:

Post a Comment